1.20.2011

two sided valentine's kiss pillow

I wanted to make a heart for the front door, but I ended up with a pillow! Hey I wanted a Valentine's Day pillow anyway, right?
One side....
Two sides...
Here we go! Another little tutorial.
Cut out 2 large hearts. I used my awesome retro sheet I got at the thrift store a while back. I love the pattern and colors! I made Dana from Made's skirt of out it this summer. I never posted about it because I don't have a photo of it.  It's dang hard to take photos of yourself. When my 2 year old gets older, I'll enlist him as official blog photograher.
Okay, back to the tutorial. The heart I made is about 20" at the top. You can make it any size you like.
Use an old piece of brown craft paper (or paper bag) to make a heart pattern. (You know fold in half and cut/draw until you are happy)
Make the pups from felt (this was some cool heather gray felt that I had never seen before!). I added a collar for the boy and a pink pearl necklace for the girl. I made the girl's eye lashes by cutting little slits in a straight piece of the brown felt and then tweaked them up in the corners. I hot glued everything on since I will only be using this pillow at Valentine's Day and won't have to wash it (and it's felt, which would not be good in the wash).
 The ear blended in a little too much for my liking, so....

 I outlined it with a crayola marker! Use what you have!

much better!

I'm switching to the bird side to show that I added the felt pieces to the hearts before I sewed the hearts together.

I hot glued the pups on, but used iron-on backing for the birds--either way works. After adding the birds to the pillow fabric (again, before I sewed the pillow peices together,  I used embrioderly thread to sew around each of the birds, and used french knot eyes, and added some little felt hearts.
Then stitch around the heart, right sides together, leaving a 4" hole to stuff your stuffing in. I made little notches (slits) at the curves and the divit (top) of the heart so it would not pucker--it still did, but not as bad as if I left it alone. Turn it right side out. Stuff it! Hand sew the hole closed and...
Done!
Ahhhh! kissy!
Here's that birdy kissy side again.
It works pretty nicely with our duvet cover. Above you can see where I hand stitched it up. I am not the best at that, but that's okay.

edit: Here it is on our bed to give an idea of the size. I finally had some day light to photograph it.

(yup, we have no art work above our bed...over 2 years in the house and we still need to decorate the bedroom)
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

3 comments:

  1. love this pillow, what a great idea, the dove side is my favorite :-) I enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog. Wishing you happiness, Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, again, sooo cute!! I love both sides and would have a hard time picking which side to display!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute ... and I love your bedspread! :-)

    ReplyDelete

dear readers, i love your comments & questions! if you prefer you may e-mail me : aprilscraftnest at gmail dot com